Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hungry, anyone?

Tony and I are on a new food regimen called the zone. It's nice because there is no calorie counting and they give you all the measurements for the most common foods. There is that small annoyance of having to measure everything out, but after a while I will be able to eyeball it and will only need the scale and measuring tools to check myself every so often. I really like it so far. It has seriously opened my eyes to how off my portions were. I always knew that I should eat my veggies, but I always filled up on meats and pastas/potatoes before I got my veggies in. NOT anymore!

The way the "diet" is constructed is you get a certain amount of 'blocks' for each category (proteins/carbs/fats) per meal/snack. You can eat whatever you want, but you will get a larger quantity if you choose healthier choices. Example: For dinner last night we had broccoli, asparagus, chicken, and almonds. We had 2.5 cups of cooked broccoli (2 blocks) 12 spears of asparagus (surprisingly only 1 block) 12 almonds for Tony 9 for me, 3 oz of chicken breasts and Tony had a cup of milk (which is 1 block each of carbs and protein, he gets one more block of each than I do). Needless to say the chicken looked rather measly compared to the veggies. It was a lot of freaking food and I wish I would have gotten a picture of it. I would say that 9/10 of the plate was filled with veggies leaving the other 1/10 for the chicken and almonds. Tony had a hard time finishing it because of the amount, but the program stresses that everything gets eaten to make sure everything is balanced. It may seem a little unusual, but I have really noticed a difference even after 1 day. I don't over stuff myself so the baby doesn't feel like he needs to fight back to regain room (thus making me feel extremely uncomfortable). Plus, it is helping Tony to be a lot more healthy. Ultimately a good thing because I want him to stick around for a while because I love him so much :)

3 comments:

Becca said...

Wow...that sounds yummy! ;) But then again youre talking to a veggie. Id do that but I have a hard time with the proteins, that is why I am drinking protein drinks now. I can tell that having my DA of protein makes me feel better. Good luck!

Aubreydoll said...

Mmm, broccoli and asparagus....wait a minute!! Good for you for doing that, I don't think we could!

Emily Kern said...

You're tougher than me! I like veggies and all, but I don't know if I like them THAT much! Can you grill the asparagus with a little olive oil and herbs? I could do that! In fact, I think thats what we are having for dinner!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online