Friday, August 8, 2008

Baby Hungry.... Finally

I have never really been one of those girls that has planned out every detail as far as my married life. I never was a big 'baby' type of girl when I was in YW. Every other girl in my ward would always swarm the new mothers while I hung out with the guys. There have been a couple turn of events that have changed my perspective on wanting a kid:
First off, when we moved to California Tony and I were able to hang out with the Days each Sunday and I grew rather attached to their kids, Harrison especially. Soon after we had moved there they called us to be Sunbeam teachers for the ward and we had the cutest kids in our class imaginable. They were soo precious and so much fun that it started to eat at my anti-kid shell. On top of that there were a lot of my friends that were having babies and I saw how happy they were and was able to interact with them and see them interact with them. The thing that pushed me over the edge of baby hunger was ironically while reading a particular book. I don't want to expose which book it is at the moment, but if you are interested in knowing which book it is just email me or text me and I'll let you know. I guess the whole reason why I am writing this post is because I need a little help. I don't feel that I need to finish school right away and I know that I'll never be financially stable (at least anytime soon), but I need to know how to prepare as much as possible. I have a couple pretty specific questions.
-Should I pay extra money to get maternity insurance or are their ways of getting the coverage without paying out the nose?
- What do I want to look for when choosing an OBGYN??

Any information you can give would really help me out. I'm not sure how soon we will start trying, but I thought I should be prepared so that when the day comes that we do get prego then I'm not super stressed about getting everything squared away.

10 comments:

Jill said...

I LOVE talking about babies and having babies, even though I've only had one so technically I'm still a novice. But I still LOVE it! I had a male OBGYN and I personally strongly disliked him. If you think about it, how can a MAN truly understand anything about having a baby?! He was a little unsympathetic to say the least and I didn't appreciate that, especially the first time around. You definitely need to be getting enough folic acid, whether through food or a prenatal/multivitamin pill and continue to exercise since that helps with EVERYTHING. You're basically preparing for a marathon! I can't wait to hear that you are expecting - you will be the cutest pregnant girl EVER! This is a novel, sorry. Good luck!

The Beauty and Her Beasts said...

I've tried to leave two comments. Blogger ate them both. *sigh* so hear I ago again
www.americanpregnancy.org has some good links for insurance and info per each state.
If you have insurance DON'T change it once you get pregnant. If you try to buy your own insurance you can't if your pregnant. That happened to me.
There are medical, and a low payment insurance that can help cover medical expenses. Ask around your ward/work and get some reccomendations for OBs. I got my recommendation from a OB nurse friend of mine.
Ok I think that is all that I had put on the orginal post.... grrrrrrrr

The Beauty and Her Beasts said...

apparently I wasn't paying attention with my english. Here I go again... not hear I ago again.

But I did forget! My curiosity is peaked. What book were you reading? email me
luvthatduck@yahoo.com
***Janell***

Emily Kern said...

WOW!!! What a milestone! I don't think you can EVER be 100% ready to have a baby....financially, emotionally etc., there are a million curve balls thrown, so I think you are smart to just take the plunge! Babies are so fun! I have had several OBs. When choosing who I will go to, I will often go on an "interview visit" if you will. I want to make sure that they care about me as much as I care about me. There are some out there! I have gone to women obs and was very disappointed with them (except for Julie King, she is a midwife). It was like they were in competition with me(like, buck up about this miscarriage thing-"I've had six" she said). So go and meet them after getting some recommendations, and don't be afraid to never go back if you don't get the right vibe. Sorry about the novel! By the way, sorry I am such a bad blog friend these days, I have been super busy, but I love your new background, your new look is HOT and I hope you get a new converter thingy soon!

adamandrebeccacoughran said...

yay for being baby hungry! i knew youd come to the dark side. i wish it took longer for me to be, and i wish i could even think about acting on it, but like ive told myself, i have time.. lots of time. adam and i are having fun being in nursery... ok maybe not, but its still good birth control for now!

and hey, good luck with your car! im sad for you. i know how annoying it is to pay things off, then have something random happen. i miss you and hope everything is going well!

adamandrebeccacoughran said...

oh and yes! what is the book? text me, its still the same number.

Jill said...

Hi! I noticed you on Greg and Shavonne Updike's blog. How do you know them? Shavonne is Jake's cousin!

adamandrebeccacoughran said...

i called you about 2 days ago, im not sure it was the right number though.. so call me at 209-262-5024

Em said...

Hi Tracy!

I had my first two babies with Medicaid in UTAH (free) it is the state insurance there and you should qualify, as for OBGYN, it's a personal choice and your insurance will also dictate some of that. You can change OBGYN's if you feel the need. healthy families is my favoirte insurance you have more choices of doctors and the copays are super low as well as the monthly paymnets. Check into that also.

I would pray also, the Lord knows you best, he will direct you in the right path. Be sure you are listening to the Spirit. You can continue your education with kids, and more grants are available to low income families. It took me 7 years to finish, but I did and it feels great!

Sparks in the Desert said...

K- so you probably don't know me, but Tony and I were in the same ward growing up. My blog is private (which totally stinks, but you can e-mail me at sarahsparks@infowest.com and I will send you an invite if you want to view it). Now that I got that out of the way...If you get a chance to, sign up for Aflac insurance before you get pregnant. I wish I would have known about it before hand. They actually pay you! The key is to get it before you are expecting...my husbands maternity insurance at his work totally went up (and of course we are expecting) and having the additional coverage would have been soooooo nice! Good Luck!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online